Friday, March 28, 2008

Thanksgiving in March?


I wasn't quite satisfied with my entry for last month's Cupcake Hero event. I waited until the last minute and didn't have time to tweak the recipe. At some point, I will go back and work on it. This month I decided to start early. While I've waited until the last minute to post, I didn't wait until the last minute to start baking! Even if I don't win the title of "Cupcake Hero" with this recipe, I have definitely found a keeper.

When I read this month's ingredient was marshmallow, I started thinking of the different things I have used marshmallow for...fluffernutter sandwiches, smores, hot chocolate, rocky road ice cream, sweet potatoes...Wait a minute! That's it! Sweet potatoes! I love sweet potatoes! As soon as I put this cupcake together, in my head, I envisioned Thanksgiving. To me, the taste of cinnamon and nutmeg just says "fall"! When Thanksgiving comes around this year, these cupcakes will be next to the pumpkin pie on the dessert table!

Sweet Potato Cupcakes

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract

Marshmallow Filling

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
3 1/2 ounces marshmallow cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Maple Brown Sugar Frosting from Karosyrup.com

2 tablespoons Karo Corn Syrup with Real Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
5 - 6 tablespoons half & half

Topping

mini marshmallows
pecans, chopped or whole sugared

To make cupcakes:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a medium bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
  • Add sweet potatoes and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix well.
  • Blend in vanilla and orange extract.
  • Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pan.
  • Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
  • Cool on a wire rack.
  • Once cupcakes have cooled, using cone method, add marshmallow filling.
  • Frost cupcakes with maple brown sugar frosting.
  • Garnish cupcakes with mini marshmallows and pecans.

To make filling:

  • In a medium bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
  • Add marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix until smooth.

To make frosting:

  • Beat all ingredients together in a large bowl, until smooth.
  • Add additional half & half, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.

Enjoy!

If April showers bring may flowers, what do Mayflowers bring? Cupcake Heroes!

0 comments: