In case you didn't know, that's Elvis singing the title of this post!
Several months ago I developed an obsession with cupcakes. I don't know why but after surfing the internet I have found I'm not the only one seeking out cupcakes! Should I be searching for the nearest CA (Cupcakes Anonymous) meeting?! Probably but why would I want to!
I read several cupcakes blogs and one of my favorites is Cupcake Hero. Each month Laurie, the author of the blog, lists a theme and invites everyone to try their hand at making a winning cupcake with the featured ingredient. After seeing all the wonderful entries from the past, I finally decided (at the last minute) to set up a blog and give it a try!
This month's theme is liquor. With that being said, I present to you my cupcake take on a Blue Hawaiian! The last time I was in Hawaii I discovered this yummy drink and it was one of my favorites. Although, when sitting on the white sand beach, of Honolulu, gazing at the clear blue ocean, any fruity drink with an umbrella in it is likely to become my favorite!
Blue Hawaiian Cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tablespoon Blue Curacao
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Pineapple Curd Filling
2 large yolks
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sugar
5 teaspoons corn starch
Blue Curacao Rum Frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 tablespoon Blue Curacao
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl blend flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time beating well after each.
- Add Blue Curacao to rum.
- Alternately add flour mixture and rum mixture to butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Blend well after each addition.
- Fold in coconut and pineapple.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake cupcakes 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Whisk egg yolks, pineapple juice, sugar and corn starch in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until thick and begins to bubble (3-5 minutes).
- Cool completely.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add rum, Blue Curacao and pineapple juice.
- Beat until creamy.
- Add more powered sugar or pineapple juice as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Add blue food coloring, if desired.
- Fill cooled cupcakes with the pineapple curd using the cone method.
- Frost filled cupcakes.
- Top with a paper umbrella.
Now, put on your hula skirt, turn on your favorite Don Ho CD and enjoy your Blue Hawaiian!